We use our successful Return To Work approach: Feldman Acquired Brain Injury Return to Work Plus (FABI-RTW+) model. (Bassilious-Samy, M. et al., 2007). The “+” sign represents the holistic nature of our model that guides clinicians to integrate work and life goals.
We know that input from you, your employer and your significant others is imperative as we together develop your return to work program.
The FABI-RTW+ model increases the probability of a successful return-to-work (RTW) using four interrelated stages:
Stage 1: Initial Assessment: Complete a Job Analysis
- We’ve developed a unique job analysis method that is used to analyze your job’s demands, looking at the cognitive, communication, physical and psycho-social- behavioural expectations.
We are now ready to look at how your strengths and difficulties may affect your return to work…
Stage 2: Pre-Vocational Assessment/ Re-Training/Work Hardening
- We use the job analysis to guide the pre-vocational assessment.
- Instead of a clinic setting we use your place of employment as an assessment and training milieu. We know that for some people it is not possible to use the actual workplace; in these instances, we will create another environment and use your work tasks to assess your strengths and challenges.
- The primary focus of this stage is to create a low risk and supportive place where you can have your work readiness assessed.
- Our experience shows that we are best able to assess your strengths and challenges in the workplace; this real work experience is imperative to help us guide your return to work program.
- Identify a job coach: we help you to identify a person at or external to your workplace who will support us with your return to work process.
- Create a circle of care: this may include important people such as your health care providers, supervisor, colleagues, insurer, and family who will support us with the return to work process.
- Goals that guide our interventions at this stage may include building up physical and cognitive work endurance, and confidence by working on work tasks that match your abilities.
You are now ready to attempt a gradual return to work…
Stage 3: Vocational Rehabilitation
In your workplace:
- we teach you specific skills to optimize your return to work based on the job analysis.
- we provide cognitive, communication, ergonomic interventions, along with psychosocial and vocational counselling.
- we work with your circle of care to increase your likelihood of a successful return to work.
Congratulations, you have now returned to work…
Stage 4: Job Stabilization
- We know that job expectations and conditions change.
- We will continue to provide intervention to you and your employer in order to help you to maintain employment on a long-term basis.
We also offer job placement and vocational retraining if you are unable to return to or maintain your job by.
- Helping you to find employment.
- Assisting you to develop interview skills, job search techniques, and resumes.